HARKER HAPPENINGS

HARKER HAPPENINGS

Monday, September 27, 2010

Austin's Blessing Day



The weather in St. George was really great for the babies this weekend! They enjoyed catching some rays in the hot tub and hanging out in their bouncers while we enjoyed some hands-free time. The boys all went boating while we got food ready for Sunday. Here is some footage of Logan's wakeboarding run!




















Today was a special day for the Harker clan! Little Austin was blessed by daddy at our church, followed by a brunch at our house with family and friends. Grandma Tammy and Grandpa Curtis came down for the weekend with Rachel and baby Molly. The other Ferney kids couldn't make it down this time. But Grandma Val and Grandpa Orin were here for the weekend as well. We ate a lot of great food and had lots of laughs over the past few days. Logan got to spend an entire day with Grandpa Curtis while the girls went shopping, and we swam and barbequed out at the ledges once Harkers got to town.


 The very sweetest, most miraculous part of this event has been little Austin's improvement. That little guy has been the most uncomfortable and difficult baby the past two months! He has a killer case of acid reflux, which translates to bouncing, rocking, and holding constantly. I have been absolutely exhausted.The kiddo couldn't nap unless I was holding him, and even then, his sleep was interrupted with stomach and throat trouble every few minutes. I have learned that NONE of the rules apply for reflux babies. They can't do scheduled feedings, or schedules anything for that matter. It's mostly about damage control- you do what you can to keep them calm and comfortable as much as possible. I have had a difficult time trusting my own instincts, because all the other babies around me are so much more easily pacified than my guy. This Monday he went in for an upper-GI so that we could be sure that no other complications existed. The flouroscopy showed the reflux problem very clearly, so we continued with yet another trial of medication and thank the heavens, he has started to become a different little baby! I am feeling so relieved and dazzled by the fact that I have put my baby down on his wedge in his bassinet for a nap 3 times this weekend! AND HE SLEEPS! WAHOO! I pump to feed, which keeps his feedings much more calm and slow. Aussie is smiling all the time, and laughing too. He is as noisy as ever, but I am tickled that the noises of milk splatting on the floor have been largely replaced by coos and awws!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Sounds like a perfect day and I am glad Austin is doing better!

The Harker Family said...

Aw what beautiful pics! So sweet! In the first pic, I was like "Who is Andrea standing with???" Then I realized it was Rachel! I didn't even recognizer her because her hair is so different!!! I love her dark hair! She looks fabulous! I also noticed you cut your hair! Oh my gosh! It looks awesome! Well you look good with any hairstyle that you do! You sisters look superb! I can't even believe that about Austin! Holy moly! I had no idea he became anything other than the peaceful and quiet little guy he was at the cabin in August! I'm so sorry to hear about his reflux! Sheesh, you don't get any lucky breaks when it comes to your babies, now do you! :-( I hope all works out! Logan is looking as cute as ever and I LOVED the wakeboard run! Yay!!!! Way to go Logan! How adorable!!!! We miss you guys!

The Harker Family said...

Oops, I meant "recognize", not "recognizer". Sheesh I've started to loose my English ever since Camden started school because now all I ever do is talk French. Soon I'll be sounding like Jean Chretien! Ha, ha, ha! If you don't know who that is (although I'm pretty sure you do), ask Brad ;-) Love ya!!!!

Harper said...

Congratulations on Austin's blessing, and another congratulations on him getting over his reflux. That is no fun at all, especially when he's in pain. I feel so sorry for babies who suffer from reflux; I'm glad Austin has improved!

The Cooks said...

We are so happy we were able to be there! We love you guys so much and are sooo happy that little Ausi is doing better. Can't wait to see you guys again. xoxo