I know that I am only speaking to a very, very small amount of friends when I discuss new planting ideas. I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to flora and fauna. But I wanted to share a few things that pertain to all mountain west zoners.
- First, i've decided that a zonal geranium gives you much more color and blooms than that of a martha stewart. So why would you bother planting an ms geranium? You get the variegated leaves that don't yellow, and you get color two-tone color options that zonals can't offer. And, they don't get as leggy if you winter them over. These pots above are zonal. Good color, kind of boring by themselves.
- Next, succulents are SOOO easy to grow! Succulents include all sedums, which make fantastic ground covers. A succulent will have a fleshy, waxy leaf that stores water like a cactus. In these two pots, i've mixed some standard sedums like stonecrop and dragon's blood with a few ornamental succulents like moon rocks and hens/chicks. They only need watered once in a blue moon, and you can enjoy them inside all winter once it freezes outside, so plant them in a cute pot! If planting in the ground, don't link them to a water source or they will rot. Also, any sedum will winter over well in the ground, just not outside in a container. The soil will get too cold. Put them in a place around your house where you can't grow anything else. They can do full shade through full sun. The only thing that will change with exposure is their color.
- One new plant i've discovered this spring is the colored calalillies that have the white spots on the leaves. They thrive outside as an annual/perrenial and bloom well into the summer. I put this one with lobelia, which croaks fast down here unless it spends a lot of time in the shade.
- Firesticks euphorbia is a fun succulent to grow. It keeps its orange as long as the nights are cool.
- This pot of million bells will be hardy all summer long. I have an absolute favorite superbell called 'tangerine punch'. It's not as yellow as the terra cotta in this picture. I love it! But I couldn't find it anywhere.
- Next up on my to-do list is to plant (in-ground) a combo of elephant ears. These two varieties are called 'black magic' and 'lime zinger'. Love 'em because you can grow them anywhere, even in Idaho! You just burlap the bulbs in winter.
- Speaking of wrapping bulbs, thats exactly what you can do in order to get your canna lillies back every year. My favorite (below) is the tropicanna. Cannas are different than calla lillies. They grow thick and their bulbs split every year. Love, love, love them.
- Lastly, I have never dared to do a planter in a completely shaded area. Well, at this house, almost the whole courtyard is completely shaded. And there was already a planter hanging on the stucco. So, it got filled. Here's what I tried: I layered vinca vine, bacopa, and purple heart on the bottom. On top of that, I planted all of the begonias and new zealand impatients sideways, so that they would show forward and grow out instead of up. Lastly, I threw some violas and coleus plants on top. The second that I can find a black-leafed coleus, it will go in the back for height. So when planting in shade, no fear in using begonias, coleus, and vines- EVEN if the tag says part sun. Any tender trailing flower like BACOPA, VERBENA, SUPERBENA, ALLYSUM, or LOBELIA, would do just fine in all shade. Yes, I am calling the 'Proven Winners' brand people LIARS:-) Happy planting!!!!
4 comments:
Well you know me, I don't know a darn thing about flowers, well and I actually don't like flowers! Ha! But shrubs and greenery I do like!!!! I love your succulents, or whatever those green things are! Gorgeous! I love the part about not needing to water them! Sounds like the plant for me! I love the plants you have in that pot hanging from the side of your house. Absolutely GORGEOUS! For someone who doesn't fancy flowers and plants, you've got me loving yours!!! Good job girl!
BEAUTIFUL ANN! I miss you...
Hey girl, i need your email address cause I'm going private on my blog soon! Thanks
Okay you are NEVER going to believe this!!! I bought some plants and a few, just a few, flowers for my deck outside. Yes, you read right!!! Real ones too (not fake ones)! I love them! I am sort of getting into it now...never thought I would. I'm checking out your flowers again and oooh, I love them! Okay, I'll call you and we can chat, catch up and you can fill my brain with all your planting/flower expertise among other things we need to catch up on! Oh, and you NEED to update this blog!
Post a Comment